Saturday 18 April 2009

Music Review - Swooning over Josh Ritter

Today I'm in a sentimental mood. I've also been checking the play-count of my iPod where one artist consistently out performs everyone else - so in his honour I'm going to wax lyrical about Josh Ritter; the throaty, achingly talented, smiley, wry and utterly charming singer-songwriter from Moscow, Idaho.

Not just smiley but sharp suited too!

Reasons to adore Josh; songs constructed like fine tapestries filigreed with gold, compassionate lyrics that flit between a simple love-song one minute and a grand theme the next. And he probably sweats poetry. The only time I saw him live (Fiddler's in Bristol) he held the door open for my clueless date, but what's more he's so well mannered that his own website allows you to stream all of his albums and download a plenty of tracks. I'm waiting for his next UK tour so I can work out how to meet and marry him.
There are five studio albums to his name; a self titled debut, recently re-released Golden Age of Radio, utterly charming Snow is Gone, The Animal Years and the rather different Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter. Each goes from strength to strength; there's a melodious cascade of sound surrounding this humble balladeer who troups the plains not only with guitar, but flamboyant schemes and wry smile.
The step to grander orchestrations does not detract from the sincerity of the songs, which I think is the most pretentious thing I've ever written, but if Mr Ritter is to be described in a nutshell then it has to be sincere - it's why his charm is so compelling. The latest album flaunts Josh's brazen ability to make large bands and diverse influences a comfortable part of his traditionally folky repertoire, so much so you'll be wondering why more artists don't have horn sections. Well, maybe not, but it is pulled off admirably in the Historical Conquests.
Josh's songs have gained a fair bit of critical applause for their wordsmithery, from the 9 minute epic and revelatory 'Thin Blue Flame' to the slightly cynical prom-night sentimentality of 'Kathleen', a truly beautiful song that cannily disguises teenage hormones and the desire for a night with an untouchable girl, especially when a perfect night is all it is ever intended to be.... Excuse me, I'm just sighing to myself.
Here's a selection anyway, including the humorous 'Stuck on You', which just about broke my heart when my iPod shuffled it into play as I sat on a train station bench, dumped, drizzled on and in Doncaster - damn all heart-wrecking physics teacher ex boyfriends.

No comments: