Friday 6 February 2009

Give yourself a Good Talking to and Cheer up! - Fun Thing #15

After spending a day being slightly melancholy in a head-tilted-at-an-angle/soulful-crease-between-the-eyes/sniffing-occasionally (into a tissue though; I was brought up proper, thank you very much) sort of way, I got slightly bored. Being sad will do that to you: worse it will make you bore other people too... at length! And then you get wine because you think it'll be the answer.
After drinking it all, oops, you remember that sorrows float; so you end up drunk, slumped in a chair with more sniffing and head tilting. Then you get a crick in your neck, and whilst being still drunk, boring, aching, sniffing and sad, you start issuing the occasional plea for understanding about "what I really mean to say is....", or worse "oh god, you really are my bestest mate in all the world" punctuated by the odd reference to "bloody religion/damn those fat girlfriends, and their squints!" or whatever other topic has recently ranckled. On top of this twaddle you force your friends (who are all by this point reconsidering their allegiance) to eat so many home-made chocolate fairy cakes that they start worrying about their weight and become as sad and boring as you.

All that wine, chocolate and wallowing left me seeking some sort of antidote and this is it: 'Trains to Brazil' by the good ol' Guillemots; a band versatile enough to knock out a good life affirming tune one minute and then depress the hell out of you the next. 'Trains to Brazil' happens to be one of my most favouritest songs in the whole wide world and never ceases to make me smile. I particularly like the line which mentions 'erroneous fools', though obviously if it had mentioned foolish atheists I'd have been rather peeved.

The title is a referance to the shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes, which doesn't bode well, but the catchy tune, sweet sentiments and chirpy beat all serve to sweep you up into a jig filled happiness. Lego Izzard and a few Adam and Joe song wars tracks helped me too, but over all if you need a bit of cheering and something to sing along to then you can't go wrong. Just avoid another of Guillemots effort "Blue will still be Blue" like the plague- at least until you feel better!

2 comments:

Jonathan Monk said...

My dearest best-belovedest fruitbat,
How goes it? I take a coupla days off [note influence of American housemate] and suddenly a million blog entries arrive to jellify the set aspic I'd arranged for the next few weeks.
How are you? How does it feel to be still redistributing my world after eight years of being uncategorisably cool? Durham life moves on apace, but we await with breathless awe your advent in october - I have to come clean here that the date of the gig is not 13th Oct but is 30th Oct, despite what the young crone said to me at the ticket office [lying slatternly heatonian tart]. Is 30th a problem? I suspect at this range it is not too bad, but had better ask before collecting money.
With this in mind, all the very best for seeing you soon, happy to make the trip to Wales as soon as you like,

Jonners

Ez said...

Hullo,

You can tell I've been going slightly spare by the amount of blog entries; I think blog productivity directly correlates to essay due dates, not to mention that damned dissertation....

Come whenever, I need rescuing and someone to drink properly with. And to avoid that damned dissertation.