Tuesday 6 April 2010

Paul Haig Day 2


Quite a few people will be blogging in detail today about Paul Haig; there will be wit, erudition and obscure tracks galore (hop on over to Vinyl Villain to see who is participating). Unfortunately I was woefully ignorant of most of Paul’s solo output until I signed up to be part of this - so I've found myself wondering what I could add without sounding like a total fool. I applaud the spirit of the day, I liked Josef K, and in the run-up to this day I've been listening to as much of Paul as I can...

Before I get going I'll cover some basic bullet points for those of you who aren't up to speed with the whole Paul Haig shebang:

  • Paul Haig has a beguilingly lush voice, he makes rather good records, and if that’s not enough to warrant a bit of a backslapping, then it’s also worth noting that he’s also a friend to bloggers.
  • A year ago JC at Vinyl Villain ran the first Paul Haig Day, to thank Paul for his support of TVV and other blogs being snowballed by dmca takedown notices, notices which caused entire posts to be lost.
Now on with the show...

It's laudable that artists like Paul get involved to support the fans who flag-wave for them, so I’m very pleased to be able to tip you a wink to a remix of ‘Trip Out The Rider’ – the opening track on his most recent LP, selected by Paul especially for today. I’ve also selected my favorite Josef K track, Chance Meeting – nothing too esoteric there, but it’s a good day’s work.

Paul’s done a lot since Josef K, so I don’t want to denigrate any of his later music, I do however have a soft spot for the band, plus it’s how I was first introduced to Paul’s songs so I feel fully justified in offering it as my addition to Paul Haig Day 2.




Josef K is the perfect sort of band for a cult following of record nerds. Existing for a flash during the freezing rain fury of early 80s, the post punk outfit was an arty lot: disdainful of the spotlight, exacting in their standards, and blistering live performers. Their mystique was only increased by the disappearance of the test pressing of their debut album amidst a mix of heady rumors, though the band have later stated it just didn't sound right. It also helps that the group was short lived – with longevity assured through mythos and influence alike: Josef K are welcome echos in the songs of Franz Ferdinand and The Wedding Present. 


As for my pick, ‘Chance Meeting'; it first came out in 1979 on Steve Daly’s Absolute label - the first and last release on that lable actually, and was then re-recorded a year later with some adjustments for Postcard. It’s sparse, bitter-sweet and almost painful in poetry and sincerity. Ah sincerity, again, the sort of word that comforts a music nerd. This version is from the 1982 Crazy to Exist live album, recorded in London just before the band broke up. Enjoy.

Here's to Paul Haig Day 2, and JC at Vinyl Villain folks.

No comments: