Wednesday 10 February 2010

The Boat that Rocked - Fanfarlo on the Thekla

Another picture of an unhappy indie band.
Ventured out to Brizzle last night to see Fanfarlo, with a quick stop off in the trendy Apple cider barge. In retrospect, that was a slight mistake: I'm fairly sure the mulled (not to mention amaretto spiked) cider (delicious) ate through my stomach lining, leaving me rather squiffy, slightly larcenous, and now the not-so proud owner of a liberated lemon.
How were Fanfarlo? Pretty bloody good. I think...
As I'm sure you know, Fanfarlo are a London based indie outfit, producing a panoramic sound that's heavy on trumpets, violins, clarinets, lions and tigers and bears - oh my. It's a little bit Arcade Fire, with crescendos ahoy, but that's not a bad thing. Their debut album 'Reservoir' took a while to grow on me, but I'm now of the opinion that it's pretty jim-swish with every tune hitting the right pace for pint swinging, or, er-hem, drunken swaying. Though if there's any criticism to be made it's that the songs can blur into each other at times, that and I can't understand a word that Simon Balthazar sings: it's all slurred, but after a few listens that becomes incidental.
The actual gig was beset with technical problems, but these didn't dampen any spirits. I enjoyed Fanfarlo -self conciously indie though they may be. I can't give a fuller review as I enjoyed the pre and post concert cider too. A wee bit too much. I highly recommend the Apple on Welsh Back.

No comments: