Friday 15 May 2009

A Little Late Night Craziness

It's 4 in the morning and I can't bloody sleep. Yeah, it's like Leonard Cohen here alright, but rather less poetic, and I'm afraid there's a fluffy pink dressing gown (replete fluorescent marker stains) rather than a famous blue raincoat.
On the plus side I've fully mastered the intricacies of Last.Fm, I'm therefore no longer feeling quite the dimwitted mutton-head. One thing is puzzling me though; I thought to "scrobble" meant to stuff Patrick Troughton into a large burlap sack and kidnap, as per 'The Box of Delights', no? Well I'll indignantly tell you that the world is all the poorer for the new definition, where Last.Fm merely makes a note of what you've been listening to.
There's loads of good language in 'The Box of Delights', as you'd expect of a poet laureate like John Masefield, but scrobble has always been my favourite, so I'm a little sad that my songs get 'scrobbled' for Last.Fm, but there's not so much as a brown paper bag to manhandle them into.
As for the 'Box of Delights', the stunning BBC adaption (1984) is very probably directly responsible for my box mania, and on a similar Christmas-tea-time-special note, yes I'm afraid I still check ornate cupboards to see if there's a way to Narnia, ho hum - a girl has to have her hobbies.

3 comments:

world of sian said...

Ooo yes, I remember very well the box of delights and purchased it on DVD, its most obsurd to watch it now, but I have the same fascination with boxes because of it.

Ez said...

I've got it on DVD and it's still a part of Christmas, though two years ago I had to take some time over as I found I'd overdosed...

Sad character I am. It's much better than talking Christ/Lions anyway.

Anonymous said...

Hello Pony! I just read your post, it came up on google when I searched for 'scrobble', hoping to find it used in the Box of Delights sense. Delighted that someone else knows that the wolves are running, and that if they're scrobbling our music, they just be nobbling it too! Ha ha what.